Sunday 29 June 2014

Review: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Publication date: May 13th, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Links: Goodreads | Amazon US | Amazon India
Stars: 4/5
Source: Bought
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.


REVIEW

I'm going to copy-paste what's in the blurb, in case you're not the kind of person who reads the blurb first. Because, of the plot, this is all you need to know: 

"A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth."

No, its not just the blurb that's deliberately elusive. We Are Liars is as fragmented, as vividly illusionary, suspenseful and pseudo poetic as what you just read. The characters pop out of the page, demanding every bit of your attention span. They say pretentious things, everything they want or need is just there- on a literal platter, share a superficial, seasonal friendship amidst raging hormones and the salt of the sea water. And you'll listen to them. 

Because in their perfection and pretention and destruction, they remain glamorous. It's the sheen this kind of inherited privilege has given them.

The Liars were perfect. Until something happened and now, Cady, "the beautiful and damaged girl" has constant and prolonged migraines. A huge chunk of her memory, of "the accident" and what happened before, is missing. Gat, the Indian American boy she loved, who made her "weak", becomes inconsistent. Her friends, the Liars, seem to be crumbling with her. Her parents and aunties are drinking and shopping more than usual and their fake smiles are waning. 

What happened to these beautiful, beautiful people?

We Were Liars recounts the scenic, the surreal and the lies the Liars and their parents lived through in startling purple prose. Eventually, and without warning, it plunges into the truth which NOTHING can prepare you for and can never quite set you free. I was crying into the early morning hours. I remain stunned. I would never read this book again, because of how it messed with my head; branded it with images that will never leave me. But you should read it that once. BECAUSE it will mess with your head and grip you until you get to the bottom of it. Because it made me mull over the nature of "ownership" and things that are fickle and pretentious.

It goes without saying that if you dislike fragmented, purple prose and tales about "them poor-little-rich-kids", you will probably not like this book.

Rating: ★★★★

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Wonderful review, Pooja! Your review stunned me so much. <3 I've flipped through my copy of We Were Liars, but I have no idea it's that intense! I have no problem with poor-little-rich-kids book haha, as long as it's not too much. :P Definitely shoving this book to the top of my TBR pile! <3 Thanks for the gorgeous review, hun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a really good book. I love how fragmented it is and it sounds very mysterious. And this is a great review
    Your reader
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm I have read some many brilliant reviews of this one, but now I am little concerned at your comments about images branded in your head and messing with your mind, was this dark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little dark, but not horrific, Heidi. The climax definitely took me by surprise and contributed to a lot of the shock! I'll be interested in your thoughts about this book... I hope you read it :).

      Delete
  4. I really loved this. I think it would be a great book to re-read (at least for me) because once you reach the end, you kind of WANT to go back and read it with fresher eyes.

    ReplyDelete

HI. Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment. :)