Monday 23 July 2012

Review: Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry

From goodreads

So wrong for each other...and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

Review

Pushing the Limits had me hooked from the first page. It was impossible not to be involved in this intense and gripping read that evoked a multitude of emotions!

Noah and his brothers lost their parents in a fire. Noah wants nothing more than to graduate high school and take his brothers away from foster care so that they can be a family again. Echo used to be a popular girl before a horrible night she can't even remember that left her with scars everyone is gossiping about. Their worlds unexpectedly collide when they are both mandated by the State to attend therapy sessions with Mrs. Collins, a clinical social worker.

How can I describe my feelings towards this book? It had me thoroughly involved. Noah and Echo were as much a part of my week as the zillion trivial and/ major things that happened to me in real life. The minute I turned on my e-reader and got back to where I'd left off, it felt like I was sinking back into their world. Would Echo be all right? What was her mind not letting her remember? Would Noah lash out and do something reckless? What was Mrs. Collins up to?

I've never rooted for anyone more than I rooted for Noah and Echo to get their lives back on track. And thanks to Mrs. Collins, they do... step by step. She was definitely one of my favourite characters of all time. Others in Noah's and Echo's life also made all the difference. I was on the fence when it came to Noah's friends, Beth and Isaiah but grew to really like them. Echo's friends, on the other hand, were a mixed bag. Grace, who avoids Echo in public because she does not want to be "seen with her", felt all too familiar to me. People like her are everywhere!

And the things you've heard in and around the blogosphere about Noah? All true. He was swoon. I could picture firecrackers being lit in the background as they fell for each other... the chemistry between Echo and Noah was mind blowing! I'm sure Echo wouldn't have been able to survive her senior year without him... what with things at home being equally complex for her. The horrible night that was lost to her for a long time was filled with multiple family betrayals.

Pushing the Limits is amazing on so many levels and I guarantee that Noah and Echo's story deserves your undivided attention!

Publication date: 24th July, 2012
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Links:  Amazon | The Book Depository | Goodreads
Source: NetGalley

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

13 comments:

  1. This book is creating such a huge book that I finally got a copy. I am anxious to meet Noah and see what the fuss is about..even you are swooning over him. I also want to know what is making everyone cry. Lovely review my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant review, Pooja !
    I'm really happy that you enjoyed the book too! I think Mrs Collins was my favorite character as well. I think the emotional aspect is what really kept me glued to the book.
    And you're right, Noah is a swoon-worthy ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard some great things about this one. It sounds quite fab! I love a good, emotional contemporary read.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds pretty good! I don't usually read contemps, but your review has me excited.

    Asma @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad this book affected you so strongly! It had the same effect on me too, regardless of minor issues I had. It certainly made me cry like a baby. I agree with you about the characters, Echo especially. It was so easy for me to connect with her. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, I really think it's one of the best contemporary books this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, Grace. I'm feeling the need to mention her in my review later. I just have some disagreement with that girl. ;) Anyway, oh my goodness! <3 I'm so excited that you really love this book, Ajoop! Books that affected you emotionally are always THE BEST. <3 And awww... Noah and Echo! They're just perfect for each other! x)

    Beautiful review as always, Ajoop! Your reviews are definitely gems! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard so many great things about this book! I am so glad you enjoyed it. I have it in my TBR pile and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Thoroughly involved" is a very good way to describe it! It was really engrossing and you just wanted to root for them to get their lives together. Fantastic review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! I loved it as well and can't wait for the sequel to be released! :D Amazing review!(:

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you enjoyed this as much as I did, Ajoop! You've basically covered everything I thought and loved about it! I rooted for Noah and Echo all the way too, I adored the chemistry between them - they are my favourite YA couple of the year <3 And didn't you just love Noah's little brothers? :D

    Fab review, Ajoop <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that you loved this so much and that you really wanted the characters to get through their issues and get their lives together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can definitely feel the chemistry between Noah and Echo :)

    ReplyDelete

HI. Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment. :)